Clinical Practice Workshops Update: July 2021
By: Paulette Jackson
Michael has been busy traveling around Eastern Australia this year since COVID restrictions have eased. It hasn’t been all sunshine and rainbows as he had to cancel four sessions due to COVID outbreaks in the local areas and he was stuck in lockdown/quarantine for two weeks at one point! He is learning a lot about strategic planning and backup planning.
Since January, Michael has completed six online Clinical Practice Workshops as well as ten in-person Clinical Practice Workshops at various facilities throughout Australia. In addition to these workshops, he also attend the General Practice Conference and Exhibition (GPCE) in Sydney. There he hosted a booth sponsored by Polio Australia. During this event, he made contact with and provided education to 40 physicians and nurses about post-polio conditions. He will be attending a similar GPCE event in Brisbane in September.
Some of the highlights of Michael’s travels in 2021 include his trip to the Sister Kenny Memorial and Museum. He found this visit particularly interesting having recently finished the book “Dancing in my Dreams – Confronting the Spectre of Polio” by Kerry Highley. Here are a few photos from his visit to the Memorial and Museum:
Has Michael Travelled to Your Area?
Check out our list below of completed workshop locations for 2021. You can also view our map of completed workshops across Australia since the program started in late 2017.
Clinical Practice Workshops Completed in 2021:
- Five Online Zoom Events
- Calvary John James Hospital – Deakin, ACT
- University of Newcastle Department of Rural Health – Tamworth, NSW COVID CANCELLED
- St John of God Bendigo – Bendigo, VIC COVID CANCELLED
- Restore Physiotherapy and Pilates – Kew, VIC COVID CANCELLED
- Roma Hospital – Roma, QLD
- Charleville Hospital – Charleville, QLD
- General Practice Conference and Exhibition Sydney, NSW
- Portland District Health – Portland, VIC
- Western District Health Service – Hamilton, VIC
- Mildura Base Hospital – Mildura, VIC
- Swan Hill District Health – Swan Hill, VIC COVID CANCELLED
- Dynamic Prosthetic and Orthotics – Nambour, QLD
- Coffs Harbour Health Campus – Coffs Harbour, NSW
- Baringa Private Hospital – Coffs Harbour, NSW
- The University Queensland – Brisbane, QLD via Zoom
Upcoming Workshops and Events:
- Six Online events
- St. John of God Bendigo – Bendigo, VIC
- Restore Physiotherapy and Pilates – Kew, VIC
- The University of Newcastle Department of Rural Health – Tamworth, NSW
- The Physio Clinic – Prospect, SA
- South Coast District Hospital – Victor Harbor, SA
- General Practice Conference and Exhibition – Brisbane, QLD
- James Cook University – Townsville, QLD
If you feel it would be beneficial for Michael to travel to your area to educate health professionals about post-polio conditions, talk to your health professionals and have them contact Michael via this form. All events are FREE of charge and award professional development hours to attendees.
You must be logged in to post a comment.