Rob and fellow skipper, Mick Souter, the Pennicott Wilderness Journeys Operations Manager and a highly experienced sailor, are circumnavigating Australia in two 5.4m Naiad ribs (18ft dinghies) to raise funds for polio eradication. Rob and Mick departed Sydney on 2nd June 2011 to embark on a 12,000 nautical mile journey anticlockwise and expect to arrive back in Sydney in mid September.

Robert Pennicott
Click to follow the Yellow Boat Road
Click to watch Rob Pennicott's call to action

Rob hopes his journey will be the biggest donation platform Australia has ever seen – he wants to raise $39 million for Rotary’s End Polio Now effort. As Rob points out, although seemingly huge, the sum actually equates to an achievable $10 donation each from 3.9 million people – why not be one of those 3.9 million? Every cent raised from the Follow the Yellow Boat Road campaign goes towards outcomes. 92% of donations will be contributed to Rotary’s Polio Plus fund. [The remaining 8% will be contributed to the Pennicott Foundation for important conservation projects.] Rob says: “Just $10 will vaccinate 17 children against this crippling disease. Together we can End Polio Now.”

Click on the picture above (full interview 26 mins 58 secs) or on the individual play buttons below to hear an interview with (pictured L to R) Caroline Farquhar (Rotary International), Rob Pennicott and Rebecca Round (Tasmanian polio survivor), broadcast by ABC Radio Hobart on 25 May 2011 as Rob was preparing to start his fund-raising journey around Australia.

Part #1 - 07 mins 09 secs
Part #2 - 10 mins 23 secs
Part #3 - 09 mins 38 secs

In Part #2 of the interview Rebecca describes her time in a Thomas splint. At the top of this page you can see a typical picture of a polio survivor in such a splint.

Return to  We Support …