The theme for this year’s Polio Awareness Month is “access. inclusion. equality.”, highlighting the desire for all polio survivors to:
- have appropriate access to services
- feel included in all aspects of society and to
- have equality in all areas of life
Within this theme there are two focus areas:
- Assistive Technology For All: we have joined with the ATFA alliance of disability organisations and consumer advocates calling for equitable access to assistive technology for those who are not eligible for the NDIS.
- Royal Commission into Aged Care Quality and Safety: we encourage every polio survivor to make a submission to the Royal Commission into Aged Care Quality and Safety. We have provided information to help you with your submission and ensure your voice is heard.
New Initative Launches
During October, we are also launching two exciting initiatives – our new look Australasian Clinical Advisory Group and a brand new blog:
- Clinical Advisory Group: Members of the new look Australasian Clinical Advisory Group have specialist post-polio knowledge, and are an important resource for both Polio Australia and other health professionals.
- Polio Australia Blog: Our brand new blog will be a fantastic way to keep up-to-date with all of the latest news, information and events relating to Polio Australia. This will be launched in late October.
- World Polio Day 2019: In collaboration with Global Citizen, UNICEF and Results Australia, we are holding an event at Parliament House on the 15th October, calling for One Last Push to polio eradication.
- Polio Day hosted by Polio Network Victoria: Polio Australia represntatives will be attending the Polio Day event in Warrnambool on 24th October.
- World Polio Day hosted by Spinal Life Australia: Spinal Life Australia are working World Polio Day with a line-up of informative guest speakers on 25th October in Brisbane.
- Complete the Polio Awareness Month crossword and share it with a friend.
- Make an appointment with your local parliamentarian to promote Polio Awareness Month’s “access. inclusion. equality.” theme
- Take some Polio Australia flyers to your local general practitioner or health care clinic
- Join us or donate to our annual fundraising event, Walk With Me
- Add your story to our Still Here website
Find out more
Visit our Still Here website to view the latest campaigning activities and media articles featuring polio survivors and Polio Australia.