Post Polio Network - Tasmania Inc is currently in recess.
Until further notice, please direct any Tasmanian enquiries
The Post Polio Network – Tasmania Inc was established in May 1998 when a need was seen for a state-wide polio network similar to those established in other states of Australia.
The Network was established with the aim of providing relevant and accessible information, referral and support services to people who have had polio, their families, carers and advocates.
The goals of the network are:
- to provide current information on polio and its possible late effects, and on the availability of services to people who have had polio, their families, carers and advocates
- to assist in the formation and networking of support groups for people who have had polio
- to raise the awareness of issues affecting people who have had polio in the wider community
- to promote an awareness of the Network to potential users, service providers and health professionals
- to support immunisation programs and to raise the awareness of such programs
Post Polio Network – Tasmania Inc activities:
- Polio Awareness – increasing awareness and promoting a greater understanding of polio and its possible late effects throughout the community
- Support Groups – liaising, supporting and visiting Polio Support Groups
- Newsletter – producing a quarterly newsletter for members of Post Polio Network – Tasmania – other interested persons may be put on the mailing list on request
- Community Awareness – raising the community’s awareness of the needs and rights of people with disabilities
- Access to Information – providing up-to-date information on polio and its possible late effects, relevant community services, medical specialists and health professionals who provide services to people who have had polio
- Immunisation – promoting the need for immunisation against polio
- Library Services – the Network has compiled a collection of books, tapes, DVDs and CDs on topics related to polio
Return to State Polio Networks